Phone:
+44 1206 751999
Location:
Red Cypher - 5 Blue Barns Business Park
Old Ipswich Road, Ardleigh, Colchester, Essex, CO7 7FX.

The Red Cypher charity is a major part of how we support our Regimental family. For the serving Regiment, it provides a way of increasing the money available to support a wide range of requirements and activities by harnessing the advantages of charitable giving.  As the size of the fund increases, so too can our ambition for what Red Cypher can support.  For veterans and our families, Red Cypher will provide the means over time to deliver timely, appropriate and focused support to those in need, in harmony with what the other charities and the taxpayer may offer.  Red Cypher means we can look after our own.

I recognise that there are many competing demands for contributions to charities. Everyone, including those serving in the Regiment, should be free to give to the Red Cypher charity as much, or as little, and as often, or as infrequently, as they feel able to. But the more we all contribute to the charity, whether by regular donation, single donation or by legacy, the more Red Cypher can help. Therefore, Red Cypher’s level of ambition, and ability to assist, lies in the hands of the past and present members of the Regiment, and the degree to which they contribute to the charity, either directly or through fundraising. The Regiment is a family, consisting of those serving in it, as well as those who have served in it. The aim of the Red Cypher charity is to be able to assist any member of the 3 rd Regiment family in their hour of need – and also to assist the serving Regiment in what it seeks to achieve, in any aspect of Regimental life, including welfare and sport. We can therefore all play our part in achieving that aim by contributing to the Red Cypher charity in whatever way we can.

Major General Nicholas Ashmore CB OBE

3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery (3RHA) is a Close Support Artillery Regiment, which has been based in Germany for 17 years but has now moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The Regiment is a modern Joint Fires Regiment equipped with the L118 Light Gun and crucially the Tactical Parties comprising of supporting Fire Support Teams, Targeting Cells and Joint Tactical Air Controllers (JTACs). 3RHA is a part of 1st Artillery Brigade and supports the Adaptable Force of the British Army, meaning there is a huge variety of training, exercises and opportunities across the world.

The Regiment consists of 5 Batteries, C, D, J (Sidi Rezegh), M (Headquarters) Battery and N Battery (The Eagle Troop). The batteries are supported by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) and small detachments from the Adjutant General Corps (SPS), Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) and the Royal Logistics Corps (RLC).

The serving Regiment is fully supported by its Past and Present Members Association (PPMA). The bonds of comradeship (often made in highly testing situations) are usually what the veteran misses above all. The PPMA helps to fill that gap, as it is a place to find old friends and make new ones, to keep in touch with the regimental family – whether before your time or serving their country now – a place to remember, swap stories, and pass on the ‘traditions of excellence’ that makes 3RHA a Regiment of which we are rightly proudTogether they form the nucleus of the newly formed Red Cypher Trust.

C Battery

Formed at Woolwich, London as C Troop, on 1st November 1793. It fired its guns in anger for the first time at Vinegar Hill, County Wexford.

The battery is proud of its uniqueness, is a place where strong teamwork remains key and where willingness to embrace variety and diversity is ever present; it’s what has always defined us and will continue to in the future.

D Battery

D Battery RHA was formed as F Troop RHA in 1794 and first saw action as part of Wellington's army in the peninsular. This was followed by playing a crucial role in the battle of Waterloo. It was there that the battery was "hotly engaged in repulsing the attack on Hougement Farm."

J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery

Officially formed up on 4th April 1805 as The Troop Madras Horse Artillery, the battery can trace its origins back to 1756 as the Madres Galloper Guns.

In 1941, during one of Rommel's 8th Afrika Korps Panzer advances, the battery were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned, but the Germans were beaten back by the leadership of Lt Ward Gunn and the BC, Maj Pinney.

Lt Ward Gunn was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross, and the battery was awarded the honour title of “Sidi Rezegh

M (The Headquarter) Battery

Formed as B Troop, Madras Horse Artillery on 23 January 1809.

Heavily committed throughout the Boer War, The Third Afghan War and WWII; serving in the Sidi Rezegh battles in the Western Desert and Operation Overlord.

In 1958 the battery was placed into suspended animation. in 1977, it reformed as an independent anti tank battery.

The battery combined with HQ Battery of 3 RHA in 1993 to become M (Headquarter) Battery, providing joint fires support to HQ 7 Armoured Brigade, The Desert Rats

N Battery (The Eagle Troop) RHA

The battery was formed in India as the 1st Troop Bombay Horse Artillery in the early part of the eighteenth century, and served with distinction on the Indian Sub-continent for over 100 years.

N Battery (The Eagle Troop) commonly known as the Tactical Group Battery is the 4th Tactical Group, which doctrinally support the Brigade Formation Reconnaissance Regiment. They recently deployed as part of J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery, as part of 7 Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery to Afghanistan